Thursday, April 3, 2014

New York's New Texting While Driving Law: Long Suspensions for those Under 18

I love my iPhone but texting while driving is scary!


New York has some of the toughest laws in the country. This is true not only in the area of DWI but also when it comes to traffic violations as well. I have seen texting while driving go from a 2 point violation to 5 point violation (serious traffic offense) in less than 2 years. I have been guilty (not legally) of looking at my phone while driving and almost killing myself in the process. I do believe that distracted driving is a huge problem even for us mature and experienced drivers.

New law makes mandatory driving suspensions those under 18 years of age or who are driving on a probationary driver's license (6 months on any newly acquired or recently re-acquired driver's license).

First time texting violation is a license suspension of 120 days (as in 4 months).
Second time texting violation is a license suspension of 1 year.

These offenses are being taken very seriously by the legislature. Distracted driving accounts for many tragedies. I think the next area of concern and change will be to our speeding laws. Speed kills.

Always consult with an attorney about any criminal or non-criminal charges you have pending to discuss your options and/or defenses.

http://www.ithacadwi.com

newman.lawrence@gmail.com
607-229-5184

Reviews of Larry Newman:



Chosen as a 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI in Upstate New York by Super Lawyers

No comments:

Post a Comment