Thursday, June 18, 2009

Why One Ithaca Lawyer Values Transparency?

Transparency is made up of many things but it is more than words
from competecarribean.org


I am a one man law firm, as they say a "solo practitioner." This is neither good or bad, it is my choice. In my heart, I have always cared more about the relationships I created with people than about being thought of as weird or abnormal. I am not normal if normal means traditional. Not when it comes to doing business. The truth is you buy a person not a business. This is especially true within the services industries.

From Chiropractor

Lots of businesses have lost this mentality. My chiropractic patients always had one main pivotal question, "do you care?" Do you care about your patients? Do you place their goals and their needs first? The real question was, "can I trust you?" or "are you trust worthy?"

I used to call my patients after their first treatment (after their first spinal adjustment). I did this for a few reasons:

1. They might feel more pain or get worse after that adjustment. Worse meaning more symptoms. This did not mean the care was wrong or ineffective. It merely meant that things were changing and anytime you make changes there is a period of adjustment of the body to those changes.

2. They might feel less pain or get better after that first treatment. That alleviation of symptoms might only be temporary. Feeling better was great but not my purpose or the goal of my treatment. I was not a pain doctor, I was a corrective doctor. A doctor who wanted my patients to understand that I was focused and interested in the long term. I wanted them to embrace changes that would ensure quality lifetime function.

3. I wanted my patients to have no surprises. I wanted them to know what they were facing, and to not sugarcoat the extent of the road ahead.

To Lawyer

I practice law much the same way. I want my DWI clients to have no surprises. No surprises from the Courts, the Judges, the Prosecutors, the DMV, or me. To the greatest extent possible I want my counsel of their legal issues to be holistic. It is not perfect. It never was nor will be PERFECT but we can try to cover and anticipate and prepare as best possible.

I want my clients to know their choices. I want them to be empowered by that sense of choice. I want them to understand how their criminal charge or charges can affect many other areas of their life, both now and in the future. I give my clients access and direction to important resources and specific information. I tell them they are not mushrooms. They will not be in the dark about what awaits them. I walk them through each phase of their case, explaining potential problems and solutions.

So how does that all relate to my topic for today? What do I believe?

My TWO Primary Beliefs

I believe to do what I do the way I do I "must" practice law transparently.

I got the word from our new president. To me it means openly, without pretense, easily understood, and accessible. Anyone who has been represented by me can tell you I am down to earth, one on one, easy to find, and probably alittle too verbose. It comes from my background, my parents, and my philosophy of life. It is what it is and I am who I am.

Call it the straight shooter or the mince no words or the facts are the facts or the tell it like it is. No you can not have your cake and eat it too! You get what you pay for! I tell people if you want fantasy hire someone else.

I believe what you put out comes back, in other words 
"What comes around goes around."

It may not happen today or tomorrow but sooner or later it's coming. Call it Karma, call it the golden rule, call it the law of the universe, but whatever you call it does not matter. What counts is that you respect the law and understand that it will not be cheated. Every dog has his day!

I have experienced this law in every area of my life. I have sowed bad seeds and reaped much pain and sorrow. I have sown good seeds, showed care and appreciation, and reaped abundant joy. Every one of us will learn this or as is said you will be "schooled" in this.

So for all these reasons I practice law the way I do. I do not hide behind walls, offices, or secretaries. Those that get me get me and those who do not, well they will gravitate to those with a like mentality.

For those who want a Transparent DWI Defense Lawyer I am here in beautiful Ithaca.


The 9 Most FAQ About NY DWI, here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/57124346/9-Most-FAQ-About-a-NY-DWI

The New York Up State DWI Survival Guide, here:


Winning The NYS DWI Refusal Case, here:

http://dwicom1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/files/2013/10/1294-HowtoWintheNewYorkDWIRefusalCase.pdf

Always consult with an attorney about any criminal or non-criminal charges you have pending to discuss your options and/or defenses.

Originally, born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. My father was a NYS corrections officer, and my mother a waitress. I now live in Ithaca, NY with my wife (of 25 years), and four kids. I have a B.S. in Human Biology, Doctorates in Law and Chiropractic, and a Post Graduate in Acupuncture. I practiced as a Chiropractic Physician in Florida from 1986 to 1995. I graduated law school in 1997, and went on to practice trial law in FL, NY, NJ, and PA. I love practicing criminal defense and injury law within the Finger Lakes Region of New York State.

Over 90% of the cases that I take on are New York DWI defense cases. I am certified as a breath tester by the Department of Transportation, the guidelines of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). I am certified in Field Sobriety Tests, and an active member of the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD). My online materials include over 550 blog posts, dozens of articles, and over 520 informative videos on my youtube channel.

I have co-authored Strategies for Defending DWI Cases in New York, in both 2011 and 2013. These are West Thomson legal manuals on New York State DWI defense, and focus on the best practices for other lawyers handling a New York DWI case. Included in Strategies for Defending DWI Cases in New York are materials I provide clients, such as my fee agreement and ways to avoid misdemeanor probation. I was selected by Super Lawyers as a Upstate New York 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI Defense based on my experience, contributions, and professional standing.

http://www.ithacadwi.com

newman.lawrence@gmail.com

607-229-5184

No comments:

Post a Comment