Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Lawyers Should Never Assume Anything!



Handling DWI cases in Yates, Steuben, and Seneca Counties brings me to many small town Courts. The first thing I notice is little to no civilization, then no gas stations, then no cell service, then my car navigation just gives up. I sometimes imagine a cold and dark winter night when I am stuck in the middle of icy ditch, cast out in the middle of nowhere (is there a middle if you are nowhere?) and cursing my grand idea to live and to practice where there are more green pastures, cows, and trees than people.

A cautionary word to the wise don't ass-u-me anything (cause if you do you make an ass of u and me), 

1. Never assume that a Town Court is in that Town. 

I had a case in the Town of Jerusalem (no not the Town of Jesus birth) but a town in Yates County, NY. Jerusalem is in Branchport. My GPS had me going in round and round in circles.

The Town Court of Torrey is in Dresden, NY.

Barrington Town Court is in Penn Yan, NY.

I think you get my point! Check the town's true location on google. Get an real address. I'm going back to paper maps because sometimes the online directions take me through dirt (unpaved) roads in many of these areas. It's not much of a short cut if you have to wait for the sheep or cows to cross the road or have gravel pummeling your car paint.

2. Don't assume first come first served.

Small Town Courts have their own rhythm. The judges may or may not take the attorneys first. They may or may not have all the necessary paperwork. Have patience and courtesy in these places. The pace is definitely slower and more methodical. If you are in a rush you should have thought about that long before you passed through. I love practicing DWI defense in these small towns. It is challenging and rewarding.

Relish the views, the hometown hospitality, and the fresh air but never assume anything, especially around here.

Always consult with an attorney about any criminal or non-criminal charges you have pending to discuss your options and/or defenses.

newman.lawrence@gmail.com
607-229-5184

Reviews of Larry Newman:



Chosen as a 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI in Upstate New York by Super Lawyers

No comments:

Post a Comment