Friday, December 4, 2009

Dividing and Conquering the DWI

I am a fan of military movies. When I was young I loved to watch John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, and Charles Bronson. They were in my mind men's men. They were walking, talking confident leaders. In my memory, forever type cast as strong, wise, and tough conquerers. They fought for justice, freedom, and the pursuit of happiness.

When I think of my own career arcs, I have always fought or placed myself up against the establishment. When I was a Chiropractor, it was giving my patients the choice of using holistic and natural treatments rather than blindly following one size fits all modern-scientific medical dogma. At other times it was arguing with an insurance company who refused to pay for a procedure or denied benefits. As a lawyer practicing civil law, it was fighting hospitals, medical doctors, and their insurance companies.

Today, practicing DWI defense law, it is the New York State government, law enforcement, and their lawyers (the prosecutors). I am the check to the system. Often I work to set an imbalance. In other words, to create a more level playing field.

One basic premise behind DWI defense is that a case can be won if it is carefully and completely broken down into little pieces. The military theory behind it is called, "Defeat in Detail." You can defeat an enemy more easily by dividing their forces. As Lincoln said, "United we stand, divided we fall." Sun Tzu, said in classic military text, The Art of War, "Fracture the whole."

Any case becomes a story. Every story has chapters. Each chapter has a goal and a purpose. The story is usually of a person at the center of a police investigation.

While they (the government lawyers) are focusing on patterns and signs that focus on drunkenness. I break down the story into the good driving, normal walking, normal talking, normal thinking, normal responding, normal answering, and normal behavior into little bites of tailored information. Each chapter of my story highlights function, and normality. My story focuses on the missing pieces. Their stories embody red, bloodshot, watery eyes, slurred speech, and the strong odor of alcohol. Painting a picture of the fall down drunk. I am looking for all the other reasons (the reasonable doubt) for those same observations.

What is observed are always surface signs. Eyes can look watery at 1:30AM for many reasons, none having to do with the consumption of alcohol. The majority of people are not at their best in the middle of night, and the early morning hours.

So many questions need to be asked. How long have they been studying? How many hours sleep have you had the night before? What is the state of their health? What effect do red and blue flashing lights play in your performance? Or a huge flashlight thrust in your face? Were you nervous, upset, and scared? The term "performance anxiety" ring a bell. How well would anyone do at anything if they forced, under the gun so to speak to perform?

It's all how you look at it. It's the focus. It's the breakdown. It's the details. Make a list right now (while it is still fresh) of everything you did that was good, that was right, that was normal
on the night of your arrest. You will be surprised at how much of what you remember was normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment