Tuesday, March 16, 2010

DWI "Just the facts, ma'am"

I listen to stories about drinking and driving almost every day. I need to know all the details. In my day we had a TV show called Dragnet. The show had a cop named, Joe Friday who loved to say, "All we want are the facts ma'am." I too want the facts but more importantly I want my client's version of the night. I want to understand his perceptions and viewpoint.

This allows me to piece together the timelines, the potential witnesses, behavior patterns, and the amount of alcohol consumed. Ultimately I want to have a more clear picture of the prosecution's case against my client. I also have a software program that allows me to input my client's age, sex, height, weight, and drinking information to arrive at a pretty accurate BAC (Blood Alcohol Concentration) at the time of driving. Of course it is only a BAC range, and highly dependent upon my client giving me reliable information.

One of the first things that is difficult to estimate is the potency of the drinks. What type of beer or wine was drank? What was it's alcohol concentration? How big were the cocktails or the glasses they came in? Sometimes "one" drink has really 3 or 4 shots of 80 proof liquor. Beer can be 3-5 % and wine can go up to 14 %. Bacardi 151 is 75 % alcohol!

I recently had a client who swore he only had 3. Yeah, as in 3 Long Island Iced Teas! Do you know how much alcohol is in one LI Iced tea? In a good one, there is probably at least 4 shots.
So my client had 12 drinks before he began drinking Lite beer later in the evening. I would imagine smoking a few hits off his buddy's joint didn't help matters.

Remember that proof is twice the percent of alcohol.


5 ounces of wine
24 proof

24 ÷ 2 = 12 (% alcohol)

12 ÷ 100 = 0.12

0.12 x 5 oz
=
0.6 ounces ethanol

12 ounces of beer
10 proof

10 ÷ 2 = 5 (% alcohol)

5 ÷ 100 = 0.05

0.05 x 12 oz
=
0.6 ounces ethanol

1 1/2 shot
80 proof

80 ÷ 2 = 40 (% alcohol)

40 ÷ 100 = 0.4

0.4 x 1.5 oz
=
0.6 ounces ethanol


One drink = .6 ounces of ethanol and usually one drink will cause someone (the average person) to go up .02 to .03 BAC per drink. If you had 4 drinks in a one hour period then your BAC would be .08 to .12. Alcohol dissipates (is expelled, eliminated) at around .015 to .02 per hour. In theory you can drink one drink per hour and clear the alcohol from your body at that rate (in other words remain alcohol free), after the alcohol clears.

So you are at a bar and have two drinks over two hours, you leave the bar, your BAC should be less than .04?
But we do not know the size of the drinks, or your metabolism, how much you weigh, or what you ate? All these factors affect your elimination rate.

Breath tests are not always reliable, accurate, or valid. Often they are not administered properly. People come in all different shapes and sizes. Getting a real BAC is a beginning, and getting the facts of the case from my client takes us one step closer to defeating a DWI.


No comments:

Post a Comment