Sunday, July 27, 2014

Why I Love Upstate New York Courts: Pay Phones and Cheap Soda Pop

I really liked this 1960s show, NYC lawyer moves
to the country for fresh air and real people.
Maybe young me was influenced?

from digital landing.com

I practice law in the Finger Lakes part of New York State. When people hear I practice in NY they naturally assume that I practice in "the" City because in their minds the entire state is New York City. NYC is a small place physically with a lot of people.

The opposite of that is where I live, breathe, and work, "lots of land spreading out far and wide, keep Manhattan just give that countryside." Eddie Albert singing the Green Acres Opening Song. He played a NYC attorney who relocated to the country.

Green acres is the place to be
Farm living is the life for me
Land spreading out,
so far and wide
Keep Manhattan,
just give me that countryside.


                                                                          Green Acres TV show "the 1960s"

We are about as far from NYC on a geographic level as we are away from NYC on a cultural level.
In the Courts I have visited it often feels like an incredible time warp.

In Owego Town court building, a pay phone 

In Owego Town Court, 50 cents for a Coke!

You gotta love these things, pay phones, 50 cent soda, and people who still see the world through a country prism. Yes, I like practicing here because I feel it is more authentic and people generally value each other's word. If you are straight with them they will be more than straight with you.

I'm now going on 8 years up here and it is better than I had first imagined. My friends told me I should have my head examined when I first told them I was moving up here, as in go see a shrink. they thought I was nuts. One of the key advantages to practicing here is that if you develop a good reputation it means something here.

Always consult with an attorney about any criminal or non-criminal charges you have pending to discuss your options and/or defenses.

I am certified in Field Sobriety and Breath Alcohol Testing, and an active member of the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD). My online materials include over 500 blog posts, dozens of articles, and over 500 informative videos on my youtube channel.

I have co-authored Strategies for Defending DWI Cases in New York, in both 2011 and 2013. These are West Thomson legal manuals on New York State DWI defense, and focus on the best practices for other lawyers handling a New York DWI case. I was selected by Super Lawyers as a Upstate New York 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI Defense based on my experience, contributions, and professional standing.

http://www.ithacadwi.com

newman.lawrence@gmail.com



No comments:

Post a Comment