Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Old Cars Aren't as Safe as We May Believe: Question Your Beliefs

I had one of these, even had the redlines, completely stock.


I love cars! I have had, enjoyed, and adored old cars, new cars, sports cars. I love them for their mechanics, engineering, innovation, and design. They speak to me of freedom and patriotism. They are a moving tribute to America and the embodiment of liberty. You can call me crazy but driving is more than getting from point a to point b for me. I have a friend that loves Camrys. To me that is like loving an appliance. That is like loving your can-opener or toaster oven, a great utility but without passion or enthusiasm for the underlying symbology or significance of the automobile.

Today I watched a video that was an eye opener. I probably had seen it before, it's certainly not new but it resonated with me today.

Crash Test 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air VS. 2009 Chevrolet Malibu (Frontal Offset) IIHS 50th Anniversary



I guess what we all would like to believe is:

1. They don't make'em like they used to (thank G-d)
2. Them old cars are like tanks (not! watch the video)
3. New cars are less safe because of all the plastic, and they aren't made very well or made to last

What's "THE TRUTH?"


1. New cars are way safer than these old ones
2. New cars have air bags, seat belts, and crumple zones
3. New cars are built of softer materials on purpose and with a design in mind

Years ago I bought and restored one of my teenage favorites. A 1969 GTO convertible, red with a white top and interior. The cam sound on those old goats is distinct, and can be distinguished from a mile away. My heart would flutter when I saw that old car but stopping was a problem and handling beyond the straight line was terrible. My romance with this car began and ended with my childhood memories. Perhaps if I would have seen this video my thoughts on driving such an old car may have been tainted. I think I would still buy one and own one but I would drive with this video in mind.

Bottom Line: Question Everything????

Questioning what we believe about anything or have believed is important to self-growth and personal development. Question your beliefs, where did they come from? are they really yours? are they based in any reality? YOUR Beliefs about the truth, about the law, about your rights, and about your case or situation may not be based in truth or reality! 

Always remember to consult with an attorney about any criminal or non-criminal charges you have pending to discuss your options and/or defenses.


newman.lawrence@gmail.com
607-229-5184

Reviews of Larry Newman:


Chosen as a 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI in Upstate New York by Super Lawyers

No comments:

Post a Comment