Tuesday, April 21, 2009

New York DWI: The Value of Being a Learner Lawyer

New York DWI Defense Works Best with Focus

I have been immersing myself in Success philosophy since 1986. I have a deep and unabiding conviction that what we talk about, study about, think about, learn about, write about, read about, and act on we will eventually bring about.

Thats a lot of "abouts" but the point is a focus and an inspiration will attract dramatic results and manifestation. I love the law. I find it challenging, stimulating, exciting, and inspiring. I meet tons of lawyers (as well as other people) that hate what they do, they hate practice. Sometime long ago they traded inspiration for desperation. How sad to wake up each day and dislike your life and your life's service.

How can you stay excited about what you do everyday even New York DWI defense?

My First Happy Tear About The Law

I can remember when I had my first "happy tear" about the law ... it was in Evidence class and the professor was inspired that day. He explained how the law that had evolved and was developed through the centuries was so organized. He went on to remark about it's structure, it's perfect balance, the symmetry of ideas, and that it (democracy) must have come through these leaders of Athens and then the United States from a higher source. To me, man-made (or woman-made) democratic law was a precious gift from God.

He went on to explain how we as a society could not live (or function) without rules of conduct, rules for business, and rules for relationships. Justice and fairness can be difficult at times but we are far beyond eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth Hammurabi code. Which finally brings me to today's blog idea, the 1970s were considered a time of drastic change. Well can you imagine comparing the 1970s to today. I believe that people can not stand still in times of change. If you are not striving uphill (growing) you are rolling down it (dying).

"One thing is clear: We don't have the option of turning away from the future.
No one gets to vote on whether technology is going to change our lives"

                                                                         Bill Gates "In the Road Ahead"

"In times of change the learners will inherit the earth,
while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped
to deal with a world that no longer exists"

                                                                           Eric Hoffer "True Believer"

It is Time to Be a Learner: DWI Defense Information

I believe it is more important now to be a learner. To be constantly reading, studying, perfecting, and growing as a person and practitioner. I meet many learned people. They have been doing their job for 20, 30, or 40 years but they are learned but not learners. There is a distinct difference. They have not embraced technology. They are still using the yellow pages. I don't buy a book, see a movie, or make a purchase without reading reviews and investigating. In my house, we have 6 computers (Macs and PCs). My wife and I are a comedy show at times with dueling PCs on the couch while watching TV.

I can't trust those professionals without a computer on their desk. I can't relate to those who don't text or email. 2009 is all about connection. It is the age of information and sharing. I give my clients all my information. I continually communicate with DWI defense lawyers throughout the country. We compare notes, ideas, strategies, and cases. I tell my New York DWI clients if you can't find me, I must be dead. I just took a vacation in South America this past month, and even in some less developed countries my iphone (btw I love my iphone) was still keeping me up to date and connected. I invest in myself through books and seminars. I invest my time in reading, learning, and then sharing.

I believe that every student must also be a teacher and every teacher must be a student.

How well must you know a subject to be able to teach it? That is true mastery of the material. To anyone who values learning mastery is priceless. So my advice to those learning...

"if you are green you are growing, if you are ripe you rot."

Always consult with an attorney about any criminal or non-criminal charges you have pending to discuss your options and/or defenses.

newman.lawrence@gmail.com
607-229-5184

Reviews of Larry Newman:



Chosen as a 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI in Upstate New York by Super Lawyers

No comments:

Post a Comment