Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ithaca Lawyer: Michael Jackson's Doctor is on Trial

It's all over the news, it's been 2 years, and it's as fresh as yesterday. I am reminded that the King of Pop is dead, and now the doctor, Michael Jackson's personal physician is on trial for his death. I grew up with MJ, loved his music, and was inspired by his genius. Seeing another high profile trial brings the public to our system. Whether you like it or not, agree with it or not, this is how we "try" people.

Fact: Think about this, MJ's doctor was getting paid $150,000 a month, that works out to 1.8 million a year, what? To me that is incentive enough to want, to deeply desire, to work hard to keep this guy alive. Why would anyone, especially a guy getting paid 150k/month want to see his meal ticket disappear? It makes absolutely no sense to me, but I'm not on the jury, and probably will never be picked for a trial.

Do I believe that he should be found guilty of murder? Granted medical negligence, even recklessness, but murder?

My bottom line: I don't know if we should be holding people criminally liable for "enabling" an addict. Because then the family member that gives money for drugs or gets the drugs is soon to get lumped into that mess and charged. Yes, prosecutors love to charge people, quick to, easy to, and once the door is open watch out.

Charged for assisting suicide, slow suicide but suicide just the same. MJ was playing with fire, he had his issues, he hired this doctor to arrange his medicine. A fix coming from a supplier, a dealer would not get charged with the crime of murder but this doctor is. Just something to think on.

That is my take.

No comments:

Post a Comment