Monday, March 28, 2011

Three Good Reasons to Hire a New York Traffic Ticket Lawyer



With any defense of a ticket (charge) there are always potential: Factual challenges (did this happen) and Legal challenges (did the government act outside of their authority).

Requested (demanded) a supporting deposition. 

This is a sworn statement by the officer, trooper, or deputy that states under oath the probable cause for the citation. They (the Court/law enforcement) must supply one (upon a written demand) within 30 days time or you can motion the Court for a complete dismissal of the charges. This could be a KEY Legal Challenge.

Law Practice (and many other professions) is both an Art and a Science

Trust me when I tell you I have tried to save people time and money by having them do it themselves and they invariably mess it up. I recently had a professor go into Court (by himself) on a simple traffic ticket. I gave him some free advice. I don't know if it was his attitude or something else but he could not "close" the Judge. Judges have to agree along with DAs to reductions (changes). He then turned around and blamed me.

In other words, he went in like I told him, I guess he said what I told him? but I don't know if he came across cocky or arrogant but he couldn't get anything reduced or changed. Yes, often a familiar and trusted (or at least respected) legal face can get done what you cannot. That's why I hate giving Free Advice.

Persuasion is less the words than the form. Just Saying I love You, and being sincere (and meaning it) are two entirely different things. Convincing a Judge and/or a Jury is much more than words. Sometimes the plumber or contractor can turn the wrench one less turn or add something (from their experience) that you cannot, that is the way of the world, not always fair but often true. DIY law is a play at your own risk game.

Lawrence (Larry) Newman, D.C., Esq.

Doctor of Chiropractic
Attorney and Counselor at Law

504 North Aurora Street
Ithaca, NY 14850

http://www.ithacadwi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment