|Cortland City Court, Cortland, NY|
My office is located in Ithaca, NY but the mainstay of my practice is DWI defense within the counties surrounding Tompkins County. I travel around 50 miles in each direction. I have defended drunk driving cases in Cortland, Seneca, Chemung, Tioga, Steuben, Broome, Chemung, and even Yates County. Yates has been a little tricky because I dislike night court, especially in winter due to the rural roads and lack of cell phone service in some areas. Being stuck or off the road in the winter, at night, with no connection to humanity just doesn't paint a pretty picture at my age ( a spry 50 this year).
Anyway, I love going to Cortland City Court for a number of reasons:
1. City Court is run methodically by seasoned veterans of the bench. btw City Court judges are elected to ten year terms in contrast to part time town, city, and village judges/justices who serve for four years.
2. Cortland Court is right across the street from the Cortland County Courthouse. If cases are going to move to felony level or we need to discuss the case (plea negotiations) with a prosecutor (district attorney) they are literally, right across the street.
3. Cortland City Court has the attorneys sign in on separate sign in sheets of paper, listing time, number of cases, etc. This is different than any Court I have been in Upstate. The process insures fairness and works to keep the case load flowing.
4. The Courthouse is within blocks of coffee shops and restaurants.
5. Parking is free, plentiful, and right next to the Courthouses.
6. Located at the corner of main and court streets it is easy to get to from any direction.
Website for the Cortland City Court: http://www.cortland.org/city/court.htm
25 Court Street, Cortland, New York 13045
Office Hours: 8 am - 4 pm, Monday through Friday NEW HOURS! Telephone: (607) 428-5420 Fax: (607) 428-5435
Initial Appearance (arraignments) on DWI cases are held Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9:00 a.m.
Main Judge on the bench is the Hon. Thomas A. Meldrim
Part-time City Court Judge Lawrence Knickerbocker is on the bench when Judge Thomas A. Meldrim is absent or disqualified.
Across in the Cortland County Courthouse are the offices of the DA:
Mark D. Suben
Cortland County Courthouse
46 Greenbush Street, Room 101
Cortland, New York 13045
Assistant District Attorneys
Christopher I. Simser, Sr
Kevin A. Jones
Robert P. McGraw
Veronica M. Krause
Lawrence (Larry) Newman, D.C., Esq.
Doctor of Chiropractic
Attorney and Counselor at Law
Ithaca, NY 14850