Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Ithaca Cortland Lawyer is Certified on the Draeger Alcotest Breathalyzer


Lake Cayuga sits at the Base of Ithaca, NY

I live within Blocks of this? Amazing!

This is NOT New Jersey!

Life has a great many twists and turns. I practiced law in New Jersey (and Pennsylvania) long before I practiced in New York. I lived in N.J., worked in the NJ prosecutor's office, married a girl from NJ, and enjoyed my time there BUT I'm a New Yorker at heart. I was born and raised in the streets of Brooklyn. You can take me from those streets but they are within me everyday.

Funny how I used to make fun of people who lived in the sticks (as my dad used to quip) but I love upstate New York, and in my more mature years (chronologically not mentally or emotionally) I have grown to enjoy the wide expanses of trees, hills, and farmland.

How did I get to the New Jersey Draeger Alcotest Certification?

1. I belong to the NCDD (National College of DUI Defense) and participate in their listserve with thousands of lawyers around the country who focus their practices on DUI/DWI/OUI defense.

2. I look for seminars, conferences, and programs that can improve my ability to defend DWI cases. I have been to many courses that teach breath testing, blood testing, and police field sobriety training.

3. My Coup D'etat!

I found out that the New Jersey Supreme Court has mandated that the Draeger company (which manufactures the Alcotest 7710 and 9510) has to provide assess to the defense bar (criminal defense lawyers) once per year the same test training and certification as it provides to the New Jersey law enforcement breath test instructors (called the coordinators). This is since 2006, so I am one of about 115 (120 took the course since 2006 but some are repeaters) certified by Draeger on the Alcotest.
I got excited because the Draeger is the main breath tester of our New Your State Troopers.

The course I took was limited to 20 participants. Many of them were experts who testify in Courts on the Draeger instrument, breath testing, and blood testing. There were some Phd. pharmacologists from Ohio, a few expert certified State Troopers, and a bunch of us defense lawyers. I was the only DWI defense lawyer from New York State.

I was trained and certified on the Draeger Alcotest (the only unit used in New Jersey) in the software, the analytical system, components and peripherals, as well as how to operate the instrument and perform a specific breath test sequence.

Me and the VP of Draeger, Hansueli Ryser

A lot harder to blow into than I imagined


All pictures taken with my new SONY Cybershot DSC- RX100
Absolutely a fabulous camera (recommended by David Pogue, New York Times tech genius)

Always consult with an attorney about any criminal or non-criminal charges you have pending to discuss your options and/or defenses.

Originally, born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. My father was a NYS corrections officer, and my mother a waitress. I now live in Ithaca, NY with my wife (of 25 years), and four kids. I have a B.S. in Human Biology, Doctorates in Law and Chiropractic, and a Post Graduate in Acupuncture. I practiced as a Chiropractic Physician in Florida from 1986 to 1995. I graduated law school in 1997, and went on to practice trial law in FL, NY, NJ, and PA. I love practicing criminal defense and injury law within the Finger Lakes Region of New York State.

Over 90% of the cases that I take on are New York DWI defense cases. I am certified as a breath tester by the Department of Transportation, the guidelines of the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP), and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). I am certified in Field Sobriety Tests, and an active member of the National College of DUI Defense (NCDD). My online materials include over 450 blog posts, dozens of articles, and over 440 informative videos on my youtube channel.

I have co-authored Strategies for Defending DWI Cases in New York, in both 2011 and 2013. These are West Thomson legal manuals on New York State DWI defense, and focus on the best practices for other lawyers handling a New York DWI case. Included in Strategies for Defending DWI Cases in New York are materials I provide clients, such as my fee agreement and ways to avoid misdemeanor probation. I was selected by Super Lawyers as a Upstate New York 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI Defense based on my experience, contributions, and professional standing.


Reviews of Larry Newman:



Dr. Lawrence (Larry) Newman
Doctor of Chiropractic
Attorney and Counselor at Law


Ithaca, NY 14850

607-229-5184
newman.lawrence@gmail.cm

http://www.ithacadwi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment