Saturday, December 1, 2012

Chiropractor/Lawyer Connects New York Chiropractic College, and Seneca Falls Court

I love this sign, Just a few miles South of New York Chiropractic College

I have a past, who doesn't. Before I was a lawyer I practiced as a Chiropractor and Acupuncturist in South Florida for 10 years. In the State of Florida it is called the Board of Chiropractic Medicine (regulates the profession). In Florida, Chiropractors are referred to as Chiropractic Physicians. The scope of practice law differs state by state, with some states saying what one can not do and others specifically stating what we (as Chiropractors) can do.

I was privileged to attend the National College of Chiropractic in Lombard, Illinois (approx. 20 miles West of Chicago). This school is now a University, the National University of Health Science. http://www.nuhs.edu/

My Alma Mater (class of 86') has expanded over the years to encompass more branches of the natural healing arts. Many years ago New York Chiropractic College moved from Stony brook, NY to Seneca Falls, NY.

http://www.nycc.edu/

My University and New York Chiropractic College share a long history and an intimate connection of sorts.

National became record holder and overseer of:

American College of Mechano-Therapy (1907 – 1920)
The Eclectic College of Chiropractic (1920 – 1922)
The Peerless College of Chiropractic (1922 – 1926)
American College of Naprapathy
Carver Chiropractic Institute (1919 – 1934)
Carver’s Colorado Chiropractic University
Chiropractic Institute of New York (1944 - 1968)
Cosmopolitan School of Chiropractic of New York
(1920 – 1944)
Detroit College of Chiropractic (1967)
Eastern Chiropractic Institute (1916 – 1923)
International Chiropractic College
Kansas State Chiropractic College, Inc. (1965)
Lincoln Chiropractic College (1926 - 1971)
Lindlahr College of Natural Therapeutics
Metropolitan Chiropractic College (1927 - 1948)
New York School of Chiropractic (1919 – 1944)
O’Neil Ross Chiropractic College (1970)
Progressive College of Chiropractic (1921 – 1926)
Standard Institute of Chiropractic (1920 – 1944)
Universal Chiropractic College (1910 –1944)
University of Natural Healing Arts (1964)

Back in the day there were many smaller Chiropractic programs and schools in New York state. These shared many similar philosophies and practice ideologies. Eventually they fractured and went their separate ways. National grew and became the Mid-West primary College of Chiropractic. They had the first accreditation for many Post-Graduate Degrees. I picked the college for it's strong academics. I have a B.S. in Human Biology, a Doctorate in Chiropractic, a Post-Graduate Accreditation in Acupuncture, and a law degree (my J.D., Juris Doctorate). Did I mention how much I like school? I just like to learn stuff.

New York Chiropractic College took on the merger of:

Columbia College of Chiropractic
(1946 - 1954)
Atlantic States Chiropractic Institute
(1964)  

All in all, the mergers brought more cohesion within the profession during the early years.

Which leads us to today. I live and practice law in Ithaca, NY but I handle cases in most of the Finger Lakes Region of the state. Criminal Defense and Personal Injury cases are my current practice focus areas because they allow me to combine my love of forensic science with the law.

Every time I drive up to Seneca Falls Court (in Seneca County) I think of two things:

Don't Blink or You Might Miss the Town

1. My favorite movie: "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart (supposedly based on the Town of Seneca Falls), and

2. New York Chiropractic College (for obvious reasons).

Seneca Falls has festivals, names, hotels, and cafes that play on the movie connection.
Is Seneca Falls really the "Bedford Falls" in the movie? I love the movie, the connections, and the idea.

http://www.therealbedfordfalls.com/

The Town of Seneca Falls has converted an old elementary school into their Courthouse/Municipal Building. It is a nice use of the space and structure considering what they have done with it. Resourceful to say the least. The Court can be busy but it is well managed and organized (as upstate Courts go).

http://www.senecafalls.com/town-court.php


I have been privileged over the past 14 years (as a lawyer) to represent, advise, and consult for hundreds of professionals within New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Florida (Chiropractors, Acupuncturists, Medical Doctors, Osteopaths, etc.) with practice and legal issues.

I am proud of where I have been, what I have learned, and I love to share it with those who seek growth and personal development. My clinical experience (being in the trenches) has allowed me to be truly empathetic with the professional man or woman facing issues.

 Dr. Lawrence Newman

Doctor of Chiropractic
Attorney and Counselor at Law

504 North Aurora Street
Ithaca, NY 14850

607-229-5184
newman.lawrence@gmail.com

http://www.ithacainjurylawyer.com

http://www.ithacadwi.com

No comments:

Post a Comment