Saturday, April 19, 2014

Good Doctor Bad Doctor Good Lawyer Bad Lawyer Spotting the Difference

So bad ass! Clint is a mentor.
from spinsucks.com


How do you know? How do you know when you have the best doctor or the best lawyer? Forget the word best for a minute, how bout a good doctor or a good lawyer? and the completion of that thought, the best for you and your particular situation (aka problem).

One of My First Mentors

I love Clint Eastwood, his movies are legendary, his characters pragmatic, tough, a classic man's man IMHO, and his movie lines are epic.

Facing down a criminal next to his gun. "Being that this is a .44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world the question you got to ask yourself is do I feel lucky? well do ya punk?"

"Your mouthwash ain't making it."

"You want a guarantee, buy a toaster."

and my all time favorite:

"Man's gotta know his limitations."

Which brings me to today, does your professional "anything" know their limitations. Doctors and lawyers have a very wide scope of practice once they are licensed. They can do a great many things but should they?

Just because you can treat ANYONE with ANY condition, should you?
Just because you can represent ANYONE with ANY legal problem, should you?

Big questions to ponder. My answer came from a wise old doctor many years ago. Dr. Drucker practiced in Boca Raton, FL for decades. He was my friend's uncle. When he spoke you listened. He had a rare air of confidence and sincerity. His knowledge was balanced by his humbleness to what he didn't know. "Any good doctor knows when he is in over his head." They know When it's Time to refer, time to hand it over to someone else with greater or more focused expertise.

Facing Your Limitations

I have faced my limitations both as a chiropractor and as a lawyer. In my ten years of chiropractic practice I saw about 5,000 to 6,000 patients. Of those many had neuromusculoskeletal issues related to causes other than spinal, or muscles, or joints. Whether it was a growing tumor, diabetes, an autoimmune disease, like Lupus or Rheumatoid, etc. they needed a referral. They didn't need me! They needed someone else, and my job was then to direct them to the best professional for that matter.

The Best Professional will take on the things, the people, the cases, and the situations that they have the skills, the knowledge, the expertise, and the passion for. The best doctor has interests. The best lawyer has interests. I do DWI and traffic because it INTERESTS me! I still find it interesting and exciting. To me alcohol and drugs and how they affect the mind and the body are fascinating. Add cars (I love cars) to the mix and you got me.

The BIG IF

If your professional is bored with what they do or not interested in you or your situation or interested in doing something else in another field or another place (wishing for greener grass). Don't walk, run!


In my sweet spot!
from web2carz.com

MY Wheelhouse

In my years of 16 years of legal practice I have referred my fair share of cases outside of my domain. Outside of my wheelhouse as they say. Wheelhouse is a baseball term, and my wheelhouse is the center of my greatest striking (hitting) power, I want things that I take on to be in that sweet spot. I want to hit it out of the park. I'm not swinging at everything. My wheelhouse is also aligned with my interests and what I like to do best. I can't get excited about what doesn't interest me (even for money).

Always consult with an attorney about any criminal or non-criminal charges you have pending to discuss your options and/or defenses.

newman.lawrence@gmail.com
607-229-5184

Reviews of Larry Newman:



Chosen as a 2013 Rising Star in DWI/DUI in Upstate New York by Super Lawyers



No comments:

Post a Comment