Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ithaca DWI Lawyering, and the Art of Being Creative: Affidavit of NO CAR

I believe that people have different types of intelligence. Some are great academically while others can see issues from unique angles or perspectives. I have seen this play out with my clients, many who are highly educated. I have also seen these areas of development within my own four children, who each have their strengths and weaknesses.

So what does this have to do with criminal law and/or dwi defense? I'm glad you asked. Lawyering, much like doctoring, or architecting ( I make up stuff all the time), all have art and science. Artfulness to me  means being able to go laterally, to think outside the proverbial box. I can do this because I love to play with words and ideas. Occasionally I get a great idea or two.

Recently I made up a form for Court, yes made up, much like I make up the use or more like the abuse of words. I called it the "AFFIDAVIT OF NO CAR." The Ithaca Judge was a little startled or surprised by this new form. Someone someplace has to make up stuff. As in I (under oath I swear) do not own and/or operate a car. If you do not own and/or operate a car then the Court/the DMV can not compel you to buy a car or get a car to place an Ignition Interlock device on. In simple terms NO CAR = NO DEVICE which btw also means NO DRIVING for six months.

No comments:

Post a Comment