Sunday, December 11, 2011

Ithaca Traffic Lawyer Understanding Out of State PA & NJ license holders, Tickets, and Points on Your Record

Speeding tickets, and moving violations are all too common around Ithaca where the limits change rapidly from 55mph to 45mph to 30mph in the blink of an eye. If it's late at night, and the roads are more desolate (especially in the winter) the police are out shooting ducks (can you quack?) in a barrel.

What if you are from NJ (have a New Jersey driver's license)?
Will NJ give your New York Violations points?

btw (I'm licensed in NJ, NY, FL, and PA)

NJ will assign 2 points for any out of state violation. But keep in mind that your insurance will give the full weight to a 4 point, 6 point, or 8 point violation.

What if you are from PA (have a Pennsylvania driver's license)?
Will PA give your New York Violations points?

Although reported to PennDOT, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will (NOT) appear on your driving record, unless you are a CDL holder.

You should also know that NY (licensed drivers) take points from NO other states but does take points from Ontario and Quebec (we have a special agreement with Canada). Warning: this does not mean your insurance will feel that way.

 Lawrence A. Newman, D.C., J.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment